Monday, August 10, 2009

Playlist For 8/10/09

Sxip Shirey - Moon In Her Belly - From The Movie Love
Loli Battle Machine - Eskimo Island Blues - Bowel Movement
Apollo Four Forty - The Man With The Harmonica - Morricone RMX
Air - The Vagabond - 10,000 Hz

Sigur Ros - Hjarto Hamast (Bamm Bamm Bamm)- Agaetis Byrjun
Apostle Of Hustle - Song For Lorca - Folkloric Feel

War On Drugs - Needle In Your Eye #16 - Wagonwheel Blues
West Indian Girl - Trip - West Indian Girl
Paper Route - American Clouds - Are We All Forgotten
Chin Up Chin Up - Mansioned - This Harness Can't Ride Anything

Lykke Li - Everybody But Me - Youth Novels
The Low Anthem - Charlie Darwin - Oh My God Charlie Darwin

Two Gallants - The Prodigal Son - What The Toll Tells
Ethan Miller and Kate Boveman - Tree Of Life - If All The Land Would Rise

The Tell-Tale Hearts - Promise - A Matter Of Time: The Best Of Ray Brandes
Jason Ricci & New Blood - The Blow Zone Layer - Rocket Number 9
Little Arthur Duncan - Gone To Mainstreet - More Rare Gems
Rick Estrin And The Nightcats - Take It Slow - Twisted
James Cotton - Cotton Jump Boogie - Fire Down Under The Hill
Big Walter Horton & Carey Bell - Christine - Big Walter Horton w/ Carey Bell

Rod Piazza - Snap Crackle Hop - ThrillVille
Lurie Bell and Billy Branch - Just A Little Bit - Chicago's Young Blues Generation
Carey Bell - I'm Ready - And This Is Maxwell Street/Vol 2
Lynwood Slim - Across The Sea - Last Call

Mitch Kashmar - Black Dog Blues - Wake Up and Worry
The James Harman Band - Lock Doctor - Black and White
Kim Wilson - I've Been Searchin' - That's Life
Lurrie Bell & Billy Branch - I Need You So Bad - Chicago's Young Blues Generation

John Lee Hooker - She's Gone - The Cream [Disk One]
Fred McDowell & Johnny Woods - Going Down The River - Mama Says I'm Crazy
Howlin' Wolf - Forty Four - His Best: Chess 50th Anniversary Collection

Mark Hummel - City Livin' - Feel Like Rockin'


First of all, I would like to apologize for the irrelevant, annoying, and pointless conversations I had at the beginning of today's show and for not sticking to what I do best, giving you harmonica music. I'm sorry if I have changed your image of me or the show and I hope this does not dissuade you from listening in the future, I promise this nonsense won't happen again. My purpose is not to detract attention from the music with tedious remarks, and I apologize if you experienced that in today's show, I am to blame. That aside, we heard another one of horror-harmonicist Sxip Shirey (I mean this in the most creative, innovative, and unique way possible)that showed us harmonica's dark side, which was freaking mind-blowing. The Vagabond by Air is a classic and I wish they incorporated harmonica into more of their songs, they have such a unique sound and it fits perfectly with what they're trying to accomplish. I was super stoked when I found out Sigur Ros had harmonica! I have such a new respect for that band... We had an ambient/psychedelic/indie set with War On Drugs, West Indian Girl, and Chin Up Chin Up which harmonica was taken out of its blues roots and seamlessly blended with afore mentioned genres. Surprisingly, Urban Outfitters-endorsed Lykke Li had some blues harmonica sprinkled in the background of Everybody But Me, it definitely made the song more robust. I had a couple first-timers today with Rick Estrin and Lynwood Slim but we will definitely be hearing more rockin' harp playing from them in the future! I hope y'all enjoyed the show despite the unnecessary distractions, and will send me any blues or indie or whatever harmonica songs you've found or created and would like to hear on air!

Keep Harpin', Dj Kamakazzi

No comments:

Post a Comment